So far, 2012 has not been a good year for the gaming industry. Sales are down, particularly in the boxed retail games sector. With two major releases in the form of Diablo III and Max Payne 3, May was expected to at least not be quite as bad as the first four months of the year. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case; despite strong sales of Diablo III, May 2012 sales were down 28% compared to last year, according to the NPD Group.
Diablo III did very well, but Rockstar’s Max Payne 3 underperformed, possibly selling as relatively-few copies as 400,000 according to some analysts. The Xbox 360 was once again the top selling console of the month, but Wii sales continue to decline.
The top 10 games of May 2012 were, in descending order and according to the NPD:
1. Diablo III (PC)
2. Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360, PS3) *remember that the PC version wasn’t released until June 1
3. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Xbox 360, PS3)
4. Prototype 2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
5. NBA 2K12 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PC, Wii, PSP)
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC)
7. Sniper Elite V2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
8. Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
9. Dragon’s Dogma (Xbox 360, PS3)
10. Just Dance 3 (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3)
-Nick’s take: Diablo III is awesome and sold really well, but I’m disappointed to see the great Max Payne 3 underperform at retail. Most of the games that sold well in May have been out for months, including Call of Duty and Battlefield. I can’t believe people are still saying that we don’t need next-gen consoles; yeah, because sales are so great right now.